[Solved]How do you understand the dilemma of minimizing confusion in the writing system on the one hand, and to encourage the masses to participate r
1. What are the three aspects to language reform in China and how are they related to each other?
2. From Seybolt and Change’s account, we can see that writing reform was even emotionally controversial. Why do you think it was (and is) so?
3. Do you think the simplification of the Chinese writing system is anti-tradition? In what way did it contradict historical trend and in what way did it conform to historical tendency?
4. How do you understand the dilemma of minimizing confusion in the writing system on the one hand, and to encourage the masses to participate creatively in writing reform on the other? Why did the Chinese government not simply enforce and adopt systematic creation of simplified characters by language experts?
5. What do you think of the argument against character simplification on the aesthetics basis? Do you think that the traditional forms are inherently more beautiful? Do you agree that “aesthetics is largely a matter of familiarity” as said by Ai Qing?